Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chapter 1- A good place as any to start

So the first chapter of Mary's book asks "what would you do with an extra $100 a month?" The first thought that came to mind was that's not a lot of money! Then after I thought about it for a second or two further I realized that it all adds up and what would I do with an extra $1200 a year? So to answer the question, I really want to own a home. I realize that $1200 won't do a whole lot toward that goal but it would be nice to have as a down payment on new furniture, repairs, etc for the new home. If nothing else it would pay for most of the moving expenses :D

I don't currently know how much we spend a month on food (eating out and groceries). I will have to tally this up sometime this week and let everyone here know what my starting numbers are...I'm sure it isn't going to be pretty.

So my first goal is to find out how much I am spending and what I am spending it on. I have picked up a copy of Quicken and hopefully tonight I will get that set up on my computer. Mary says that she spends only $75 per month for each member of her household for food! That seems really impossible to me but I suppose with her having 12 people to feed that you have to be very frugal. My goal is to cut 10% off my food bill in the next month. This will officially start after our trip to Florida because I plan on enjoying myself there and while not going crazy money wise I also don't want to be cutting coupons for everything and eating nothing but peanut butter and jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment